What makes you a Goth?

Trappernicus

Okay, so some of us like to claim to be Goth or Gothic. But really what makes us what we say we are? Also, there are now a long list of Gothic Cultures and Subcultures. So which one do we each claim to be associated with?

Traditional Goth

Romantic Goth

Pastel Goth

Hippie Goth

Vampire Goth

Cyber Goth

Bubble Goth

Tribal Goth

Lolita Goth

Casual Goth

Deathrock Goth

Haute Goth

Aristocrat Goth

Just to name a few of the many sub genres.

6 hours ago, NikkiAngelus said:

I have no intention of buying any overpriced goth brands in order to "look like a goth". I'm a million times more goth than most brats in the malls or wherever they hang out nowadays and I actually know the roots of the culture pretty well. Thus I dare to say that I'm a goth.

So if you don’t subscribe to any kind f the current expressions of Goth culture; so how can someone tell your even a Goth? Not by your clothes. Not by your social network. Maybe by ha5 you talk about? Sounds like you’re a clandestine Goth. 🦊

51 minutes ago, Trappernicus said:

So if you don’t subscribe to any kind f the current expressions of Goth culture; so how can someone tell your even a Goth? Not by your clothes. Not by your social network. Maybe by ha5 you talk about? Sounds like you’re a clandestine Goth. 🦊

I don't know and I don't care. I identify with the goth aesthetic, collect all kinds of "gothy" stuff in my apartment, like dark colors et cetera. I just refrain from going overboard in dressing like one. I don't feel the need to waste my money on white face paint and overpriced Demonia platforms. Goth originates from punk. Buying overpriced shit doesn't sound at all too punk to me.

Regardless

54 minutes ago, NikkiAngelus said:

I don't know and I don't care. I identify with the goth aesthetic, collect all kinds of "gothy" stuff in my apartment, like dark colors et cetera. I just refrain from going overboard in dressing like one. I don't feel the need to waste my money on white face paint and overpriced Demonia platforms. Goth originates from punk. Buying overpriced shit doesn't sound at all too punk to me.

Regardless of how you perceive yourself; you have a nasty mean spirited attitude. Really, you need to take a chill pill. 🦊

11 hours ago, Trappernicus said:

Regardless

Regardless of how you perceive yourself; you have a nasty mean spirited attitude. Really, you need to take a chill pill. 🦊

Believe it or not, I'm actually a very... Uhh... Well, not agreeable, but... Not easy-going either, more like a likably angry person in... Well, person. It's the lack of smileys that makes me come off as more rude than I actually am. Make of that whatever you will.

• Haha 1

hey guys, i just joined and came across this so to me goth subculture names are meaningless. you are either goth or not. Gary puts it the best when it comes to describing what we are all about...certainly nothing to do with expensive and ridiculas pantaloones...lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nivram said:

hey guys, i just joined and came across this so to me goth subculture names are meaningless. you are either goth or not. Gary puts it the best when it comes to describing what we are all about...certainly nothing to do with expensive and ridiculas pantaloones...lol

Hello, Your Name Rice gs a Hell. Do I know you from another site? 🦊

Maybe I’m really an old age Emo? I remember when I was roughly eight years old waiting for my mother to walk home from work. While I waited I would wonder and muse what would happen if she died. Like would my father get married again. What would the new mother be like. Would she be better and easier to understand and get along with. I even had a small cemetery for insects that my best friend and I would burry dead bugs we found. Sadly I hadn’t discovered the joys of black clothes. 🦊

• Like 1

Well, considering the entire sub-culture or variants of said sub-culture are music based with fashion as a secondary aspect. I'd say, that I qualify. I listen to a lot of Trad Goth sh*t and am a bit of a Rivethead. I need more harsh and heavy beats, man!

Edited by Jack
Grammar.
  • Like 2

I like to think i am some hybrid of casual goth but also old-school emo (only because of music), hehe. I have worn primarily black clothes since elementary school, it is my comfort color I think. I also love collecting oddities and teeth, I work out in cemeteries, listen to the music like Bauhaus, The Birthday Party, Siouxsie, etc. But I do not think I am hardcore goth only -- I like many things! I think to only have one lane of interests is boring. But, I have always been called goth so I guess I am mostly goth. 🥨

• Like 2