Genealogy

NerdCake

So I nose dived into making our family tree, I have the family name back to the 1600s and found some information from 1068 with our name in it! I think it's pretty cool. I did the DNA test, I'm mostly from England, Scotland and a little bit of Norway so that's pretty cool!  I really want to learn more about Scotland's history and lore I've always found it interesting. 

Anyone else a genealogy nerd or have cool stores to share?

I really like history, there's some cool stories about my family to be recorded that I don't want forgotten with the next generations. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

I wanted to do that but have yet to find the courage to do it. I'm afraid to find out the true me. Now, did you order the kit online or how did you get it done?

I got it online from Ancestry, it was pretty simple. they send you the kit, you spit in the tube and send it back. I think it took about 6 weeks to get results, apparently science takes time lol

It's hard for me to say that I basically come from colonizers. But I believe it to be true. The timeline adds up as well as the locations. Now there is 1% native on there and that comes from one woman who a man in my family married. The story says they ran off to be married and the man of my family was shunned because interracial marriage was looked down on back then. I was worried about this, was this a willful marriage? Was she bought from a residential school or stolen? My father confirms the story how he has been told it that they willfully ran off together. I'm skeptical but hopeful. I do not claim any hatred that my ancestors have likely put onto indigenous or people of color. I am teaching my daughter to treat everyone with equal chances and fairness. The best I can do is do better, break any generational curses and just make the world a better place in general.

• Love 1

8 hours ago, KonekoHime said:

I started trying to fill out my family tree, but I keep running into dead ends. I can find certain people, but most are missing. I think I am gonna one day have to go the "paid" route to find everyone. 

Yes I had to pay for it, my boyfriend gave me 6 months. It's so expensive. :sad2:

9 hours ago, NerdCake said:

Yes I had to pay for it, my boyfriend gave me 6 months. It's so expensive. :sad2:

I was able to find the grandmother I am named after, but it only shows her being married to one person and only having 1 child.

Which is very incomplete. I am not sure why there is so  much information missing. 

My paternal grandmother did a full genealogy workup for her direct line and my grandfathers direct line. She actually published it. It's pretty neat. I haven't read it all, but she spent a decade compiling it and getting in touch with every living descendant she could find. She had tons of pictures and hand written letters. Her book listed out indirect relatives but didn't go into any detail on their lives. I eventually want to sit down and read everything, but there are two very large books and boxes of letters. 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 6:41 PM, KonekoHime said:

I was able to find the grandmother I am named after, but it only shows her being married to one person and only having 1 child.

Which is very incomplete. I am not sure why there is so  much information missing. 

Hmm I think there is more you can search with the payed service but there are some holes you'll have to fill in. It wouldn't find my grandfather who I know nothing about. I had to search obituaries to get bother/sister names of him. Then once you start filling in the more immediate generations it suggests parents to those and so on it gets easier but search carefully, it's not a perfect system but it definitely helps. I've used some outside sources to fill in gaps or confirm relatives. 

• 5 weeks later...