What is your currently philosophy? If any.

Jack

I'm genuinely curious to see your answers! Currently, I live by the phrase "I know nothing." And, that is my philosophy. I acknowledge the fact that we are ignorant and arrogant. And, that this is a hinderance. As a result, I seek to chase the unknown but acknowledge that the fact that I am indeed "human" but this will probably limit my understanding if not lead to rejection of whatever I may find due to our nature.

How about YOU?

• Love 2

First of all, I absolutely love this type of content. I am very excited to read this, so I will try to stay calm and write as structured as possible, although I don't promise much.

Now, let's begin.

First point: Is it possible to say that I have a philosophy; that I have developed it? Or would it be best to say that philosophy has me and that it has developed me? Who uses who? This from Lacan's perspective, if I'm not mistaken, that he talks about how language is the one who speaks us and it is not us who speak it. If the second scenario were true, perhaps we could affirm that by discovering the philosophy that operates us, we could also discover the veil that hides our destiny. If the former were true, there would be the option to choose what and how to think, and that would make us responsible, to a certain extent, for our destiny.

Second point: Regardless if I depart from the  idea that it is possible to choose, a mere assumption that does not convince me because I do not believe in freedom, ergo I am a determinist; or not,  I also share the Socratic paradox that says "I only know that I know nothing". This Socratic Aikido is quite useful within any ethical/moral framework. However, I also share the Aristotelian principle of practical knowledge because it seems to be quite useful to proceed within what we may call Reality. Aristotle is the father of science and that is why he considered the possibility of accessing practical truths. For example fire burns and if you throw something where there is gravity, the object will fall. We only can survive through axiomatic principles like these.

Third point: To answer your question, I consider myself a deterministic materialist. The material conditions in which a person or society grows determine to a large extent the possibilities of accessing or not accessing certain types of practical truths and certain types of moral and/or ethical interpretations.

• Love 2

3 hours ago, Diavolo said:

First of all, I absolutely love this type of content. I am very excited to read this, so I will try to stay calm and write as structured as possible, although I don't promise much.

Now, let's begin.

First point: Is it possible to say that I have a philosophy; that I have developed it? Or would it be best to say that philosophy has me and that it has developed me? Who uses who? This from Lacan's perspective, if I'm not mistaken, that he talks about how language is the one who speaks us and it is not us who speak it. If the second scenario were true, perhaps we could affirm that by discovering the philosophy that operates us, we could also discover the veil that hides our destiny. If the former were true, there would be the option to choose what and how to think, and that would make us responsible, to a certain extent, for our destiny.

Second point: Regardless if I depart from the  idea that it is possible to choose, a mere assumption that does not convince me because I do not believe in freedom, ergo I am a determinist; or not,  I also share the Socratic paradox that says "I only know that I know nothing". This Socratic Aikido is quite useful within any ethical/moral framework. However, I also share the Aristotelian principle of practical knowledge because it seems to be quite useful to proceed within what we may call Reality. Aristotle is the father of science and that is why he considered the possibility of accessing practical truths. For example fire burns and if you throw something where there is gravity, the object will fall. We only can survive through axiomatic principles like these.

Third point: To answer your question, I consider myself a deterministic materialist. The material conditions in which a person or society grows determine to a large extent the possibilities of accessing or not accessing certain types of practical truths and certain types of moral and/or ethical interpretations.

I need to read over this again when I'm a little less sleep deprived but I enjoyed your commentary! (I'm running on 5 hours of sleep and 2 Red Bulls, aha.) "Or would it be best say that philosophy has me and that it has developed me?"

Couldn't it be both? Keep in my mind, my next statement isn't to force my practice on anyone. It's just an example for this discussion. I'm a witch and my entire reason for beginning my practice was my theory that science and the arcane meet in the body and mind. That if physical resources can produce enough energy power something that we as people should be able to do so through focus and through the power exuded through ritual. But, that doesn't mean the former doesn't have it's own power over us! Some people, swear that the phases of the moon impact their practice. That days of the week are assigned to certain correspondences, you know? It's give and take. And, while it's entirely subjective I think to an extent philosophy. Also, I apologize if this ramble doesn't make much sense. I promise I'll try to clarify when my head is a little clearer and rested.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack said:

I need to read over this again when I'm a little less sleep deprived but I enjoyed your commentary! (I'm running on 5 hours of sleep and 2 Red Bulls, aha.) "Or would it be best say that philosophy has me and that it has developed me?"

Couldn't it be both? Keep in my mind, my next statement isn't to force my practice on anyone. It's just an example for this discussion. I'm a witch and my entire reason for beginning my practice was my theory that science and the arcane meet in the body and mind. That if physical resources can produce enough energy power something that we as people should be able to do so through focus and through the power exuded through ritual. But, that doesn't mean the former doesn't have it's own power over us! Some people, swear that the phases of the moon impact their practice. That days of the week are assigned to certain correspondences, you know? It's give and take. And, while it's entirely subjective I think to an extent philosophy. Also, I apologize if this ramble doesn't make much sense. I promise I'll try to clarify when my head is a little clearer and rested.

I would like to add that magic is considered a preamble to philosophy. Years ago I read a study carried out by the University of Costa Rica. In it, I studied a hypothesis about the development of the prefrontal lobe of the human brain thanks to the consumption of entheogens. Our ancestors, during the food collections and the constant testing of both what can be eaten and what not, discovered psychoactive substances, giving rise to the first shamans of the communities, rituals, and culture. Magic continues to be practiced bilaterally alongside philosophy and alongside science.

In my opinion, they are complementary: different epistemologies that are traveled to reach a shared goal, which is Knowledge.

Now, I couldn't go on without first defining what Mind is. Let us not try to reveal the black thread of this issue, which still does not have a forceful answer, at least from the plane of philosophy and science. However, I am convinced that it is possible to build together a shared starting point from which we can continue to address the issue. Without a concept of Mind, 'how can we talk about everything that contemplates it within its becoming?

Your answer is very clear. I would like to read what you will write is better.

• Love 1

I love this topic!! I've been attempting to figure out my basic understanding of myself lately through diary writing and reflection. I think if we take the time to reflect on our personal morals and stabilize our belief systems then we will be more consistent and rounded humans. 

A lot of my philosophies are also focused on what is known and not known. There are things that we know as a fact, there are things that we personally believe which are nuanced and subjective, and there are things we know nothing about. One of the big talking points being God and the afterlife -- people believe there is a God, but there is no way to know for a fact. I mostly perform in a state of grey and I don't think everything is as black and white as it seems, especially in America. 

I also acknowledge that some of my philosophies can be considered cold, though, because I believe that if one cannot understand, or accept, the basic fundamentals of oneself (that they are woman/man, that they are human, that they are part of an animal kingdom) then I have a hard time relating or taking them serious. Because, in my eyes, if someone cannot accept that these basic truths then how can I be on the same plane as them. Does this make sense?

Materialism is something which I have beliefs about, but do not follow very well myself, haha. Over the past year or two I have taken notice of the trinkets that many are obsessed with. There is a lot of needless spending for object that serve no purpose or function. I have been guilty of this myself, I think most of us have. Throughout 2021 however, I think I've been doing a really good job of reflecting how necessary an item is before recklessly spending money. I've been much more objective about my purchases which I am very happy about, but still I am not perfect. If I were -- I would own nothing but the necessities. 

I don't know if this helps answer your question much, but hopefully it did. 🥨

• Love 2

18 minutes ago, babytiff said:

I love this topic!! I've been attempting to figure out my basic understanding of myself lately through diary writing and reflection. I think if we take the time to reflect on our personal morals and stabilize our belief systems then we will be more consistent and rounded humans. 

A lot of my philosophies are also focused on what is known and not known. There are things that we know as a fact, there are things that we personally believe which are nuanced and subjective, and there are things we know nothing about. One of the big talking points being God and the afterlife -- people believe there is a God, but there is no way to know for a fact. I mostly perform in a state of grey and I don't think everything is as black and white as it seems, especially in America. 

I also acknowledge that some of my philosophies can be considered cold, though, because I believe that if one cannot understand, or accept, the basic fundamentals of oneself (that they are woman/man, that they are human, that they are part of an animal kingdom) then I have a hard time relating or taking them serious. Because, in my eyes, if someone cannot accept that these basic truths then how can I be on the same plane as them. Does this make sense?

Materialism is something which I have beliefs about, but do not follow very well myself, haha. Over the past year or two I have taken notice of the trinkets that many are obsessed with. There is a lot of needless spending for object that serve no purpose or function. I have been guilty of this myself, I think most of us have. Throughout 2021 however, I think I've been doing a really good job of reflecting how necessary an item is before recklessly spending money. I've been much more objective about my purchases which I am very happy about, but still I am not perfect. If I were -- I would own nothing but the necessities. 

I don't know if this helps answer your question much, but hopefully it did. 🥨

Be careful, because from the philosophical aspect, when you talk about materialism you are talking about the historical materialism proposed by Marx as a method from which societies must be examined throughout their product development thanks to the material conditions in which they developed.

I know what you meant, still.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Diavolo said:

Be careful, because from the philosophical aspect, when you talk about materialism you are talking about the historical materialism proposed by Marx as a method from which societies must be examined throughout their product development thanks to the material conditions in which they developed.

I know what you meant, still.

Thank you!! I've had to read a lot of Marx but have never understood his ideology. I guess when I think of materialism I think more about Diogenes. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, babytiff said:

Thank you!! I've had to read a lot of Marx but have never understood his ideology. I guess when I think of materialism I think more about Diogenes. 

Diogenes of Sinope, I believe. Why do you relate him with materialism? Because he was able to, kinda, live with fewer possessions?